Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats

Growing up, my mom trained me to become a choco-holic. Not that I will complain at all about my deep love for brownies, cakes, and other tasty treats, but I always went to the neighbors' houses to get simple desserts like rice krispie treats. Never in my life had I made them before yesterday when I embarked on a mission to fill Naomi's left-behind brownie pan with a tasty treat so I could finally return her cookware.



Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats.
Ingredients:
  • 3 Tbsp. butter
  • 1 (10 oz.) bag of mini-marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup yellow cake mix
  • 6 cups crispy rice cereal
  • 1 (1.75 oz.) container of sprinkles


Method:
  1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over low heat and add marshmallows.
  2. Stir until they begin to melt, adding in cake mix one spoonful at a time so its combined.
  3. Stir in cereal so it is completely coated with marshmallow mixture.
  4. Sprinkle in half of the sprinkles and mix.
  5. Press into a baking dish (any size will do) and top with remaining sprinkles. Let sit for about 30 minutes before cutting.


I almost doubled the recipe on the website above because I wanted to taste-test them since I had never before made rice krispie treats.
My tips are as follows:
  1. Use lots of cake batter. I used an entire cup for a double batch. It's very sweet, but very tasty.
  2. When doubling the recipe, don't add in double the rice krispies. There's not enough marshmallows to go over them. I used about 8-9 cups of cereal instead of 12.
  3. Add a little extra butter. Everyone loves butter.
  4. Use lots and lots of sprinkles. Sprinkles = happiness.

No comments: