Saturday, April 2, 2011

Chocolate Buttermilk Panna Cotta

I couldn't find a recipe for chocolate buttermilk panna cotta, so I did my best to combine the chocolate recipe with the buttermilk recipe, and this is what I got:

Ingredients:

  • 1 c + 2 tbsp heavy cream (I couldn't find heavy cream, so I used heavy whipping cream)
  • 3 tbsp brown sugar
  • 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
  • 3 tbsp cold water
  • 1 package powdered, flavorless gelatin (vegetarian, if you can find it!)
  • 1-2/3 c buttermilk
  • 1/8 tsp kosher salt


  1. Coat 5 or 6 ramekins or similar cup-type item lightly with flavorless oil. (I used small bowls.)
  2. Place water into a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over it. (Do not stir.) Let stand 5-6 minutes.
  3. In a medium saucepan over medium heat: Bring cream and sugar to a boil (about 7 minutes).
  4. Remove pan from heat. Add chocolate and whisk until smooth.
  5. Add gelatin mixture to chocolate mixture until melted.
  6. Stir in buttermilk and salt.
  7. Ladle mixture into ramekins.
  8. Refrigerate, loosely covered, until set. (About 2 hrs.)

To serve:
  • Run the tip of a small knife around the edge of the ramekins to loosen the panna cotta and unmold onto plates.
  • Or, if you're me, just serve them right from the bowls in which they set
  • Let stand until almost at room temperature (about 1 hr).
  • Garnish with berries if you have them!







Now what do I do with all this extra cream...?

No comments: