Monday, November 17, 2008

I live in America with a pair of Payless shoes / The Upper Peninsula and the television news

Michigan's Upper Peninsula is a diverse society of people. I've gathered that there is some sort of disconnect between the UP and the "hand" that is the rest of Michigan. Of course, this disconnect also seems to be between the UP and Wisconsin. I'm not really sure why that is. Nonetheless, from my nonextensive travels in the UP, I have gathered that Yoopers are fairly conservative small-town folk who have a strong affinity for the Green Bay Packers, shooting forest animals, and eating pasties.

That being said, I'm currently eating chocolate in the shape of the UP, thanks to my favorite Jonathan who brought it back for me last time he was up in Escanaba. Be it a Yooper bar or Macinac Island Fudge, the UP is okay in my book for its production of chocolate and sweets.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Say Ya to da UP, eh?

RogueComment said...

Most people that visit the UP go to Mackinaw island. That is not the UP. If you want the real UP (You dont, stay in ann arbor or as close to it as possible) drive somewhere else. Or since you are college-y you could visit Michigan tech. In fact, the only reason to visit is approaching . . . winter carnival.

There is one other reason to go to the up and that is snow mobiling.

As part of my last job I went to Houghton . (Flew! It's a long ass drive from anywhere civilized) I once led a group of rented snow mobiles in Houghton. It was fun, but I know why people die there every year. Speed + Beer + Overconfidence = Tree.