Sunday, August 26, 2007

Working my way back to you, babe

Kellie and I explored the park behind our house today. Unfortunately, I didn't bring my camera, but there will be more time spent there at a later date, I'm sure.

Black Pond Woods Park is located on Barton and Traver Road, behind the back entrance to our parking lots. It's filled with community gardens, educational areas (science center and a nature center), toys, and many acres of wooded area with trails to get lost upon.

The first task was teaching Kellie how to hula hoop. Once we got her in a bigger hoop, she was ready to rock the hip action. After we got bored hula hooping, we took over the badminton net and hit the birdie back and forth for a while. As she yelled "Boop" and I yelled "Floop" with every hit, we found ourselves improving drastically. From there, we wandered through the pizza garden, butterfly garden, tea garden, etc. Behind the gardens, we entered the woods for a brief jaunt.

One thing that's funny is talking a walk in the woods with a South Dakotan. You know, there are virtually no trees in SD? She was adorably in awe of the wooded cover and the sun shining through.

One thing that's not funny is how they don't seem to sign trails at our park...

But, another thing that's funny is how the Black Pond is actually green with algae and a gazillion frogs.

From my extensive math training, I understand that 1-1+1 is greater than zero, and thus the park is an okay place to be.

So, we followed the trails around, thinking we'd eventually circle back to the main park building. Instead, we let out on Pontiac Trail and had to navigate our way back to our apartment. We ended up sitting by the creek for a while. Wonderful peace with my wonderful roommate.

No comments: