Tuesday, August 28, 2007

When Irish eyes are smilin', sure it

This week has been "Academic Preview" week. Basically, we get good food and see what else goes on at the University, in and outside SPH. Computer classes on PubMed and Excel are offered, and we get to meet a lot of people from our programs.

A few stats. By my eye, SPH is about 117% women. The remainder -17% are men. I guess that means that all the men have graduated. (Keep in mind, my eyesight isn't the greatest.) Though that's not completely true, I always giggle when I'm conversing with a guy just because it's a rarity. This is quite a change from my undergrad, when I was in the math department: a minority as a woman and as a Caucasian.

Last night, we had a "mixer" at Conor O'Neills, this Irish bar on Main St. There, Team Awesome (consisting of Kellie, Jamie, Ashley, and me) rocked some current event and musical trivia. As Kellie and I closed the bar while she kicked some med student's arse at rock-paper-scissors. If you think grad students don't know how to kick it... you're probably right.

Tomorrow is the last, and shortest, day of Academic Preview and I'm supposed to hang out with one of the EHS PhD students I met the other day to drink some coffee and maybe study some stats. We really do lead exciting lives.

My attention span is running short this evening, thus I will leave you with this parting shot of a music society building on campus.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Um, STUDYING before the semester actually starts? Nerd. Suck-up. Genius. Lovely, though. ;-)

Love you mucho!

Anonymous said...

I left a lot of brain cells at Conner ONeils.