Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Ghetto superstar

In youth, being a superstar in multiple areas (sports, academics, music, dance) is easy because "superstar" is a lenient term that just means "better than average."  And, being better than the average 10 year-old doesn't take much aside from a little devotion and concentration, since most 10 year-olds are too flighty to devote their time and energy toward much, aside from memorizing Justin Bieber song lyrics. 

Being older redefines "superstar" as an expert.  Quit frankly, it's hard to be an expert at more than one thing.

I am having this thought right now as I'm considering my studies.  How does one become a superstar at their thesis research while simultaneously remaining well-rounded?  I have too much energy to sit in one place and read papers and write all day, so I have to get out and play sports (specifically, ultimate frisbee).  But, when I'm playing ultimate, I think about strategy and things and become critical and aware of expert strategy, and find holes in other strategies, so then my concentration goes that direction. 

Maybe I need to find a sport that takes less thought.  Like running:  Tie shoes.  Run until exhausted.  Go home.

No comments: