Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Life

Many of you may wonder what it's like to be in a PhD program. I feel my life is pretty typical to that of my chemistry, physics, and engineering PhD friends, except they spend more of their lives sitting around a lab and can't actually leave at a normal time.

Day-to-day life as a PhD student goes like this for me:

  • Get up when I want, as long as I can make it into school before whatever morning meeting I may have (which range from 10 am to 11 am start times).
  • Drive to parking lot. Take bus to SPH.
  • Walk up to 4th floor.
  • Never ever EVER leave cubicle unless it is to go to conference room or chair's office for meeting.
  • Never ever have any idea what else happens on any other floor of this school, nor see new faces of MPH students.
  • Have lots of meetings in small or large groups
  • Occasionally go out for lunch.
  • Spend lots of time reading articles and trying to write and figuring what direction my dissertation will go in
  • Bus to parking lot. Drive home/to frisbee fields/wherever I have something after school.


I bet you're all jealous!

XO,
A

No comments: