Monday, December 22, 2008

Come on ride the train, hey, and ride it

I somehow made it back to MN. Somehow. I'm not exactly sure how it happened.

Let's just say, I don't know that I will ever be taking the train again. Or at least not past Chicago. And definitely not in the winter.

After getting stuck on the tracks somewhere between Battle Creek and Chicago because the switches were frozen, we managed to get stuck in Union Station for eight hours. Yes. Eight. This would have been fine had Union Station been more than about 6 degrees Fahrenheit. I ran all over the place and managed to find myself a cup of hot chocolate while the three of us were waiting for the train to even be taken out of the yard! We had some Pizza Hut for lunch. J and D had a few beers. We played around on the internet. We observed a short black man yelling at a white woman for looking at his MySpace page to which he actually said, "Fear my race, bitch." I was a little afraid that we might have to diffuse the situation when he started talking about hitting her. I'm not really sure what their deal was. Maybe they just enjoy role-playing in crowds...

Anyway... We finally left Chicago at 830 and immediately opened a bottle of wine. The three of us split it and hung out for a bit, before D asked if I wanted to go look for food (J had eaten a second meal before we left Union Station).

So, we couldn't find any food so, instead, we opened up another bottle of wine (we packed well, as you can see). Dean and I proceeded to drink and discuss life and stuff for many hours. Somewhere in the middle of the night, on our third bottle of disgusting wine, we started polling the club car about their views on gay marriage, which got pretty interesting being that Dean's gay and we were sitting next to a bunch of conservatives.

Eventually we made it back to our seats to fall asleep but, um, it was so cold! I think I dozed off for a few minutes somewhere between Tomah and LaCrosse. After Dean got off in Winona, I woke J up to go sit in the club car so that we wouldn't get harassed for not getting off in Winona like we were supposed to. We made it to the Twin Cities at 5:30, after my parents were already up for the day.

So, to summarize: trains are cold and late, but a good way to waste time is by drinking wine.

No comments: