Sunday, September 23, 2007

Everybody wants to rule the world...

Thursdays night was a Lish-treat night. I bought myself a ticket to see The Bad Plus at The Ark because they're really awesome. I thought it'd be a nice reminder of home, since the drummer is from Minneapolis and is a member of a couple other groups in the area (i.e. Happy Apple, Halloween Alaska). Also, I will always think of my parents when I hear those guys because we experienced them the first time at the Montreal Jazz Fest a number of years back when they opened up for my absolute favorite sax player, Joshua Redman.

It really was a fabulous show, complete with a lot of tunes from their latest CD, Prog. I was a little upset that they didn't play "1980 World Champion," but they did a lot of other great ones, like "Giant,""Physical Cities," "Anthem for the Earnest," and lots of other phenomenal tunes I guess I should feel privileged though, since they played "1980 World Champion" for us back at The Dakota before their new CD was even out. So, I was there for the sneak preview of that earlier this year.

Anyway, I'm pretty awesome, so I will end this entry with two photos... One of me with The Bad Plus after the show, and the other is my signed CD.


Alicia, Dave, Ethan, Reid


The disc.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

You're real purdy.

Anonymous said...

I used to be an Ark member. cool little place to see a show. There was a Soul/Blues singer who played there often. Can't remember her name, but it'll come to me.

Reed said...

Cool!

Dave King, the drummer, was also in an excellent Minny band named 12 Rods. Sadly, they are no more. But he was always super friendly and nice whenever they'd come to Chicago. Bad Plus is awesome.