Monday, September 24, 2007

Don't go chasin' waterfalls, please stick to the rivers and the lakes that you're used to...

Since my tank was just above half-full, I decided to stop at the gas station for the first time since B left (about a month ago). I don't use much gas, it seems, which I enjoy.

Upon putting all of six gallons into the tank to top it off, I checked my tire pressure near the air pump when I hear a, "Hey, are you from Minneapolis?" This guy pointed to my license plate and the conversation began. He discussed the bridge catastrophe, and how his relatives are up there, etc.

I was in Michigan, moving my stuff into my apartment when it happened. It was so surreal, watching CNN and realizing that those places where places I used to drive and walk and bike (River Road). Then being back in the Cities for a week or so afterward, with detours around town everywhere, made it more obvious how inconvenient it would be. Though the tragedies were quite sad, I was amazed that only a few people died. That bridge is probably one of the busiest roads in the Twin Cities, and no one enjoys rush hour on 35W anyway!

I almost forget about it, being away from home, but it seems that's what we're known for now. First it was lakes, then the Mall of America... now, Minnesota is the state where the bridge collapsed. Bravo, MNDOT! Our state now has a reputation to be proud of.

Another link to news that reminds people of Minnesota was brought up by one of my fellow frisbee players, who mentioned the little girl whose intestines got sucked out by the pool drain earlier this summer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.