Friday, August 31, 2007

All the honies who makin' money, throw your hands up at me

I went in for my biostat exemption exam today. I have to say, I was a little rusty. Thing is, I think I rocked the harder questions on regression, and screwed up this theoretical question on the binomial distribution. Who does that?

The exam took the full two hours and was offered at the same time as the algebra placement and epid exemption exams. I think it was just we biostat kids who were left when time ran out. It was tough and my madd krazy statistikal skillz are rusty.

So, after the exam, I grabbed lunch in the SPH cafeteria to check it out. I got a veggie burger and cookies for all of $4.75. My kinda food at my kinda prices. I chatted with the guy who coordinates the interdepartmental concentrations a little bit. He's a really nice guy and I dig him because he wears his mustache the fu manchu type style. I think that's what it is. It's very hip, whatever it is. And he's really cool with all of us students.

After lunch, I went over to meet with this OB/GYN. I was supposed to meet with her last Friday but got stood up since she ended up having to bring her kid into the ER. I guess that's a tolerable excuse. She was really cool. We ended up having our interview outside, since it's gorgeous out and the building she's in is pretty small without too many open rooms.

So, we chatted about what she does and what I'm interested in and what I can do and... just like that, she offered me a job! Now, mind you, student jobs don't pay that much and some of them are limited to work study funds only, which are made available by the financial aid folks, but it's a job... And an interesting one, at that.

Katy, the doctor I'd be working for, is doing research on how mental illnesses (like depression) can influences stillbirths and infant mortality. Obviously, the opposite is true (infant mortality can influence the mother's mental state), but Katy is looking at the opposite. She's also looking at patient care and disparities, and how that may influence infant mortality.

Cool. So, I am going to email her my schedule and hook it up. I probably will only work about 10 hours a week or so, but I think it'll be really interesting stuff!

No comments: